Oct 5, 2010

2010 - A tribute to DooM

 ink on paper, coloured in photoshop
[click the image to enlarge]


Doom is one of the earliest first-person shooter video game i ever played on PC. I play this game when im still 12 or 13 years old. Some other first-person shooter video game i played on my early PC-era was wolfenstein and Duke Nukem.

I remember that day, about 15 years ago, one of my school friend lend me 8 floopy discs of Doom installer. I went home enthusiasticly because my family just bought our first PC some weeks earlier. Everybody at school who had PC talked about this game a lot and i was so curious. I never had my own video-game console, not until my family need a PC at home. Before we had PC, i always play video game at arcade center, or friends' house. Atari, NES, Sega megadrive. Double Dragon, Bare Knuckle, Street Fighter, Castle Vania, Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Contra, Splatter House. You name it. But PC is always my favourite console. Maybe because PC was my first personal console.

So, i was super excited. I installed Doom to my computer which still operated on DOS system. I insert the floopy disc one by one, i wait patiently. And after it completely installed, i play it right away.. I always play it everytime im home (after done my homework, off course eheh) and i remember my mom shouting at me a lot since all my focus in life was just to kill demons on Doom. I remember, one day i was so frustated because the more i gained higher level, the more its become so difficult and it was like impossible not to get killed. Its too brutal for my young brain and small fingers. I was so glad when one of my friend told me all the cheat he knew. I dont care about playing fair or honest anymore that time. Who cares? All i want was kill more demonic demons and see more new creatures on higher levels. Those poor demons..

This is an illustration of a cute, ugly, gross creature called Cacodemon. It just floating around on the air and unleashed hell from its wide mouth. I like using chaingun to kill this monster.

Doom is awesome.

2 comments:

  1. I still remember the cheat!
    invicibility: iddqd

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha! and the god mode one?

    ReplyDelete